Chocolate Ganache Frosting Recipe
Are you a fan of store bought chocolate frosting? Let me say up front, I am definitely not. But I have a good friend who is. Actually, I have a few friend who grew up with it and ask for it on their cakes! But being the food purist that I am, I am not down with using store bought frosting. Ever. That’s a deal breaker, my friends. But if you’d like to get that dark color, thick texture, and overall chocolatey-ness, make ganache frosting! It sounds fancy because of the french word, ganache, but it is so simple. It’s only two ingredients. You can handle this.
Chocolate Ganache Frosting:
12 oz. bag of milk chocolate chips (semi-sweet or bittersweet will also work if you prefer a richer taste)
3/4 c. heavy whipping cream
- Pour chocolate chips into medium size mixing bowl.
- In a small saucepan, bring cream to boil over medium-high heat. Watch the cream carefully as it will boil over quickly.
- Once the cream is brought to a boil, remove from heat and pour over chocolate.
- Let the chocolate and cream mixture sit for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Whisk the mixture together until all of the chocolate is melted and is a smooth syrupy texture.
- Cover the ganache and place it in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
- The mixture will thicken as the chocolate cools and be a perfect frosting consistency.
- Happy frosting!