Christmas Sugar Cookie Recipe!
Only 19 more sleeps til Christmas! In my family we count in sleeps, instead of days because of our favorite Christmas movie: Muppet’s Christmas Carol. I love this movie, not only because it is a cinematic masterpiece, but also because my family watches it every Christmas Eve. It’s tradition. I’m also a pretty sentimental person, and I’m all about cheesy Christmas traditions. But of course, Christmas time for me means a lot of baking. And Christmas baking happens to be my favorite kind. I generally make Christmas sugar cookies multiple times in December. When I worked at Culinary Crafts, I was always in charge of the sugar cookies, mainly because they are my favorite thing to make. It’s the most artistic cookie! I always make them for Christmas eve dinner. I’m sharing my favorite sugar cookie recipe with you so you can too! They also make great gifts. Just saying.
Sugar cookie dough recipe:
1 c. softened butter
1 1/4 c. sugar
2 large eggs
1 T. vanilla
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. nutmeg
2 3/4 c. all purpose flour
1. Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs one at a time and beat well.
3. Add vanilla. Mix thoroughly.
4. Add dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
5. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. The dough can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Roll out to 1/4″ thickness and cut into Christmas shapes!
8. Place cookies on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
9. Bake for about 10 minutes. The time will vary based on the size of cookies you cut out. But we sure not to over bake them! They will continue to bake a bit on the pan after you take them out of the oven. And soft cookies are always better than crispy.
10. Frost! For the best taste I used buttercream frosting. Although, if you want a smooth look use royal icing.
11. Spread Christmas cheer!
These photos were taken by See Jane. Last year, we did a Christmas sugar cookie party and it was so magical. She has a great blog and an Instagram account well worth following too.